Trans-Siberian Railroad - about a Quarter of the Globe

The legendary Trans-Siberian Railway is not just a railway, it is a vast network that links the territory of Siberia together. Snaking 9,200 kilometres through this enormous, unforgiving landscape the Trans-Siberian Railroad, or simply the ‘TransSib’ plys between Moscow to Vladivostok. It is the longest railway on the planet - a non-stop trip from Moscow to Vladivostok takes seven days – and it passes through two continents: Asia for 81% and Europe for the remaining 19%. The 1,778th km of the TransSib railway line is considered to be the border between Europe and Asia. Here stands a monument that symbolizes the geographical border between those two great continents.

There are several exciting travel options: you can cover Russia on a journey from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok or continue from Lake Baikal down to Mongolia and China which gives you the chance to explore three very different cultures.

One thing to know is that the Trans-Siberian railroad is not a tourist train. It comprises a number of railway lines and sub-lines that stretch from the west of Russia across the plains of Eurasia. Some of trains almost cover the entire route, like the ‘Russia’ or the ‘Baikal Express,’ trains. The latter runs all the way from Moscow to Irkutsk (Lake Baikal). There are also services which run to Beijing (China) via Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia). Recently several private companies have introduced tourist trains on the railway.

You can choose to undertake the whole journey on a non-stop adventure spanning a quarter of the globe, or you can make breaks along the way. Whatever you choose this epic train ride will not disappoint. Sitting back on the train you’ll be captivated time and time again by the ever-changing landscape: from the large Siberian rivers and taiga forests to the mesmerising steppe.
Reasons to Visit Transsib Destinations in Transsib Travel Practicalities FAQs about Travel to Transsib Tours to Transsib